Everything is bigger in Texas – including flavour in your Texan-inspired casino party snacks! From down-home favourites to traditional Texas dessert recipes you don’t need to travel to the Lone Star State to get that big taste which you’re craving.
So, here is a round-up of a couple of the absolute best Texan-inspired snacks to serve at your next casino party!
Sirloin Wrapped Jalapeño Poppers
- 1 package of beef Top Sirloin steaks (Milanesa), thinly sliced to ⅛ – ¼-inch
- ½ cup of Italian dressing
- ¼ cup of fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbsp. of honey
- 1 ½ tsp. of ground cumin
- 8 jalapeño peppers
- 8 oz. smoked Gouda, shredded
- Barbecue sauce (optional)
- Combine the Italian dressing, lime juice, honey and cumin in a food-safe plastic bag. Add steak, turning steak so it is coated. Close the bag tightly and marinate it in the refrigerator for between 30 minutes to two hours. Take the steak out of the bag. Discard the marinade. Slice the steak into strips about 4 inches wide.
- Take off the stem and seeds from the peppers. Keep the pepper whole. Stuff peppers with cheese. Wrap the steak around each pepper and make sure that you secure with two toothpicks. Continue with this process until all peppers are wrapped.
- Put the poppers on grill over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill these uncovered for 6 to 8 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, covered for 10 to 12 minutes) or – alternatively -until the internal temperature reaches 160°F and the cheese is melted.
- Serve with barbecue sauce.
Tex-Mex Spiral Potatoes
If you want a dish for your next casino party that has the big flavour of Texas then these Tex-Mex Potato Spirals are just what you’re looking for! They’re as rewarding as you sink your teeth into them.
- 4 large Idaho potatoes
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/3 cup of barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup of dry whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup of low fat finely shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 2 chopped of scallions
- Cut off the round bottoms off the potatoes so that they sit flat. Put two wooden spoons parallel to each other and put a potato lengthwise between the handles. Make eight crosswise cuts three-quarters of the way through the potato, stopping each time that the knife hits the spoon handles. Repeat this with the remaining potatoes. Thoroughly rinse the potatoes.
- Put the potatoes on a microwaveable plate. Cook on a high heat for about seven minutes. Turn over the potatoes and microwave on high for seven more minutes, or until slightly soft.
- Preheat oven to a temperature of 350 degrees F.
- Brush the outside of the potatoes with olive oil, keeping the remaining oil for the topping. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and put the potatoes in a baking dish. Drizzle with barbecue sauce, allowing the sauce drip between the slices.
- In a bowl, mix bread crumbs, cheese, garlic powder and the remaining olive oil. Top each potato with the bread crumb mixture.
- Bake potatoes about 20 minutes.